Calligraphers are experts at beautiful writing. They practice a form of art that has been practiced since the ancient times by the Chinese, Romans, and Greeks. Today, you are likely to witness their expertise in meaningful pieces and formal texts. Did you receive a card inviting you to a wedding or a must-attend event? In all likelihood, the writing you see on the card is the creation of an experienced calligrapher. The best of them do not just depend on their skills.
They also rely on tools such as the best calligraphy pens, and that should be your starting point too. Below is a review of the best pens that calligraphers use in 2020 to help you select from a smaller sample instead of allowing the variety in the market to confuse you.
Pilot Metropolitan Collection
Pilot has produced a fountain calligraphy pen that is part of their Metropolitan collection. Its excellent craftsmanship offers you the chance to improve your penmanship. With its durable brass barrel, there is no doubt that Pilot made a pen that lasts. Other than that, the pen’s sleek premium finish adds to its allure too. Its timeless and elegant appearance gives you a tool that you would be proud to hold between your fingers while producing exceptional designs.
However, the pen is not all about beauty. It also carries several amazing features that make it a perfect gift for either a student or a workmate who has just earned a promotion. The fine nib on this pen is one of its most outstanding attractions. It looks fresh and modern too.
- The metallic body that makes it feel just right in your hands
- Brass body is weighty without being too heavy
- Beautifully designed
- Easily refillable
- Environmentally friendly
- Polished sleek finish
- Long-lasting brass barrel
- Be ready for ink flow issues
- The converter seems excessively small
Tombow 62038 Fudenosuke
When you need a calligraphy pen that gives you bang for the buck, then you should limit yourself to Tombow 62038 Fudenosuke. First, it gives you the option of using either hard or soft tip. As if that is not enough, you are guaranteed an easy to use pen in addition to a flexible brush tip that works wonders for beginners.
When looking for a pen that would help you to perfect your drawing and lettering techniques, then you should go for this one. Additionally, the presence of the two nips gives you a relatively easier time creating coarse, medium, or extra fine strokes. With its black water-based pigmented ink, you have a pen that does not require much work, tweaking, or preparation to use.
- Comes with two tips – one flexible and the other a firm fine tip
- Available in over 10 colors
- Water-based hence incapable of bleeding on most types of papers
- Odorless hence great for everyday use
- They write and draw smoothly
- Perfect for beginners
- Portable and comfortable
- Flexible brush tip is awesome for wide-ranging drawing and lettering techniques
- Not refillable
- Susceptible to quick fraying if not used on super-smooth paper
Staedtler Calligraphy Pen
Defining Staedtler as nothing more than a calligraphy pen would be doing it a lot of disservice. That is because it is awesome than your average calligraphy pen. For starters, it comes in an all-purpose kit that delivers the tools you need to create stunning calligraphy. Examples of the tools you get here include 20-ink cartridges that are available in seven colors.
Additionally, you can also expect to find four pens in this kit. The interchangeable nibs on the pens are worth their weight in gold too. It is worth mentioning that the nibs are in five different shapes and sizes. Moreover, an instruction book is also in the package while you also get a practice pad that you could use to kickstart your career or life as a calligrapher.
- A deluxe set that features five nibs
- Comes with four pens
- Kit contains 20 ink cartridges of different colors
- Has a metal pump to use together with bottled ink
- An instruction book with details on three different calligraphy styles also available
- Fitted with a 25-sheet pad for practicing and polishing your skills
- Has varied marbleized barrel color
- Ink flows inconsistently
- Cheap plastic build makes it less durable
Sheaffer Viewpoint Pen
You would never go wrong with this choice if you place a premium on a calligraphy pen that comes with classic stainless steel nibs. The fact that the nibs are not only easy to maintain but also to clean makes them more special. Further, their nibs are ideal for calligraphers whose lettering style is more delicate and elaborate.
Upon buying it, you would also receive some archetypal black Skrip ink cartridges. One of the pen’s greatest features is the presence of the window in its barrel, which offers you a chance to monitor ink levels and change them where appropriate. Additionally, their mix of bold and contemporary colors adds a twinge of vibrancy to the desk, which could boost your creativity immeasurably.
- Offers great value for money
- Offers a variety of nib options
- Wide-ranging barrel options such as fine (red), medium (yellow), and broad (orange)
- A standard filling system
- Rubberized grip improves handling
- Strong metal clip handles prolonged usage admirably
- Supports normal cartridges and converters
- Excellent italic nib
- Barrel is made of plastic, making it less durable
Sakura 8-Piece Pigma Pen
In calligraphy, color plays a crucial role in the final product. After all, calligraphy is not just about drawings and texts. Because of this, your choice of a pen should depend on the range of colors on offer too. In this regard, none has a better selection of colors than the Sakura 8-piece Pigma pen. This set of brush markers offers you bold and intense inks.
With its superior ink flow, which spurts out from the sides and tips, you would be able to create superb calligraphy. Other than that, its fade-resistant, waterproof, and chemical proof ink is a winner in its own right. The pen’s compatibility with most types of paper makes it highly incapable of bleeding and smearing, which can render the greatest calligraphy nothing but a sham.
- Available in different tips; that is, fine, bold, and medium
- Each stroke delivers a raw look
- Has a waterproof and fade-resistant ink
- No smearing or feathering on most papers
- Ink lasts longer on paper
- It writes like a real pen while painting like a brush
- Comfortable to hold
- Durable and flexible nib
- Ideal for beginners
- Highly versatile
- Ink does not look good on washable fabrics
- Cap fails to snap back on as would be expected
GC Quill Antique Feather Writing Pen
When asking anyone about calligraphy pens, be ready to hear about handcrafted tools that most people have seen on TV or movies. If you also have this image in your mind, you would not be wrong either. GC Quill Antique Feather Writing Pen is as antique as they come. More than that, it is both cutting-edge and beautiful.
The fact that it comes with six various stainless steel nibs guarantees you a variety of ways of using different techniques to create mind-blowing art. This birch wood-handcrafted piece follows the pattern and style used in old pens. With beautiful case and a couple of stylish ink bottles, there is no doubt that this pen is aesthetically pleasing. Experienced users can also dip it in ink before drawing or texting.
- 100 percent handcrafted
- Full of pioneering new tools for writing
- Replete with state-of-the-art technologies
- Guarantees better control and stability
- Ink flows easily
- Delivers smooth strokes
- Designed to allow foolproof writing
- Durable stainless steel nibs
- Elegant case makes it a perfect gift
- Huge variety of ink colors and nib sizes
- Individually handmade writing instruments
- High-grade color patterns
- Iridium alloy on the stainless steel tips protect against wear and tear
- Feather is susceptible to the effects of wear and tear with time
- Nips might fail to catch ink properly
Are you now ready to splash your cash on the best calligraphy pen? In that case, you should choose from any of the six pens reviewed here. When choosing your preferred pen, you should always watch out for the styles, nibs, tips of the nibs, and remember the kind of work you wish to do with it. Additionally, do not forget or ignore the grip; that is, how it feels when you hold it.
Further, the type of ink also plays a crucial role in your choice. Also, is it beautiful? After all, you will use them to draw or text something that is not only artistic but also beautiful to behold. Lastly, your skill level also matters. Some pens are ideal for beginners, while others are for expert calligraphers.
The above-reviewed calligraphy pens stand out in many aspects. For starters, they are stylish. Next are their nibs, which are typically either flex or italic. In Western calligraphy, you are most likely to read or hear of terms such as brush pens, which have either natural or synthetic hair.
Additionally, it is worth mentioning that each type of pen stands out based on the type of ink and paper used too. In this regard, no two calligraphy pens are the same. As you order, remember to specify your preferred tip size as well. Here, you would mostly have to choose between broad and extra-fine sizes. In all these qualities, the abovementioned pens stand heads and shoulders over their competition.